Tuesday, December 11, 2007

In the beginning...


As a child of the 50s, I always enjoyed drawing sports figures. Every Sunday, I remember rushing for he San Francisco Chronicle's "Sporting Green" to admire the latest illustrations of Howard Brodie.

Eventually, I became a graphic designer and for over 35 years, made my living working in that field. Life may have been simpler back in the day, but producing exactly what you could see in your head was much more difficult. The process usually required a team of people and always involved more time and frustration.

I was fortunate to "be involved" as the transition from traditional methods to electronic wizardry took place. While still working, I was able to learn a great deal and broaden my exposure in many areas of the digital world. 

At about the time I retired, I saw that great advances being made in digital photography as well as in creative software and printing. It became possible to paint from my digital photos and print my artwork on traditional materials. I could handle the whole process in a reasonably small studio and I really liked that!!

However, even with the availability of all those new tools, I still had nont developed my personal style nor found subject matter that truly peaked my interest. Friends commissioned me to do paintings of their children and pets, and I'd paint flowers for hours. Clients were pleased but those subjects were NOT my passion. Not until I joined an online forum for digital artists, did I find myself headed in the right direction. It may have been through a process of elimination, but when I painted my first "sports art" picture, I knew that was IT! 

So, after many years as a graphic designer, now semiretired, I have time to create what I like best. It comes as no surprise that my love for sports, digital photography and digital art have blended into what has now become my full-time passion.

No comments: